Back to Colonial Project Page
After a study of the Colonial trade signs used to mark a business or shop,
students will work with their partners to create a sign of their Colonial.
These signs will be included in the students' art portfolios as well as
being part of the Colonial Trade Project and Living History Museum. Students
- Neatly draw and outline the basics of their sign. It
will look like a coloring book drawing.
- The teacher will Xerox 3 extra copies so the sign will
have 2 sides and each student can include 1 sign in their art portfolio.
- Students then neatly color their signs.
- Students then glue the signs on cardboard.
- The signs are attached to the walls above the students'
stores during the Living History Museum.
Below are examples of Colonial Trade Sign. Note that the
first three rows of pictures contain actual signs from Williamsburg. The
rest are student examples.